Michael's Margarita Recipe
Quality ingredients and a little technique will produce a classic and delicious cocktail. It's not necessary to spend a fortune on an artisanal "sipping" tequila but you do want an authentic 100% agave tequila from a good producer. Spending a little extra on a high quality mixer and a little energy squeezing fresh limes (instead of a sugary pre-made lime product) will really elevate the margarita and make it sing! Here's my recipe:
- Two parts blanco tequila (I love Cimarron)
- One part orange liqueur (Gran Gala, Combier, or Cointreau)
- One part fresh lime juice and 1 lime wedge for garnish
- Kosher salt (optional)
Making the Margarita:
- Add the tequila, orange liqueur, and fresh lime juice into a cocktail shaker with some crushed ice and shake.
- If using salt: put some kosher salt on a plate, touch a chilled cocktail or rocks glass upside down onto the salt to get a "salt ring" before adding the cocktail.
- Strain the cocktail into the chilled cocktail or rocks glass, either straight up or on the rocks.
- Garnish with lime wedge.