5 Reasons It's A Great Time To Be A Wine Consumer at VWM
1. The wine market is truly global and there have never been more good selections available from more places. Whether it's Zinfandel from California or Plavac Mali from Croatia, you can purchase it.
2. Advances in technology and in wine making mean that we see better wines than ever from the both Europe and the New World winemaking regions like North and South America. Seriously flawed wines are a thing of the past.
3. At the same time, there has been a resurgence of time honored wine making traditions in many parts of the world and a revitalization of many historical regions with dedicated winemakers hand harvesting, using indigenous yeasts, and working under sustainable, organic, and biodynamic methods. This is producing a wider range of styles in wine and a greater diversity than at any point previously.
4. Here at VWM, we are in the New York City market, arguably the most diverse and dynamic in the world with access to some of the finest small importers and distributors in the industry. This is not a "industrial brand, biggest and cheapest" mentality but a "quality, authenticity, and genuine value" model. These companies are passionate and driven to find wines and producers that they are proud to represent. We have access to the same wines as the top restaurants and retail shops in NYC and we take full advantage of this.
5. You don't have to rely on ratings to get a great bottle of wine anymore. The era of a single wine reviewer setting the "scores" and thus prices for a large percentage of the wine market is over and the era of relying on ratings from magazines is coming to an end. The advent of social media combined with the rise of younger wine drinkers (Generation X and Millennials) means that as more people have positive experiences with this diverse world of wine they'll share their thoughts with the world. People are starting to realize that not all wines are meant to be trophy wines with high scores and sometimes a simple crisp white is better with sushi anyway. The best way to find good wines is to trust a knowledgeable wine shop that cares. That's where we come in!
This is all true and the only thing that's required to enjoy this amazing world of wine is an openness, a willingness to try some new things without being immediately judgmental, and a spirit of adventure (the more adventurous the better). Grab opportunities to taste in this way and I can promise you that you'll make a plethora of new discoveries and learn a whloe new way to enjoy wine.