5 Things to Know on International Sauvignon Blanc Day
- Sauvignon Blanc is originally a French grape. Sancerre and White Bordeaux are made from Sauvignon Blanc.
- DNA testing has shown that Sauvignon Blanc is a parent grape of Cabernet Sauvignon (The other parent is Cabernet Franc.)
- Sauvignon Blanc is now often associated with New Zealand, which has had great success with the grape, but its grassy, gooseberry profile is recognized wherever it's grown.
- Sauvignon Blanc pairs well with guacamole and tomatillos which makes it appropriate to share the spotlight with Cinco de Mayo this year. Coincidence? We think not.
- On International Sauvignon Blanc Day, all Sauvignon Blanc is 10% off at The Village Wine Merchant.